Relaxer Touch-Up - 12 Weeks post Relaxer

Tuesday, November 21, 2017


It's amazing when you do a countdown to relaxer day and then when it approaches, you're left thinking that you could go a little longer!

A few weeks ago I decided I was done with self-relaxing and contacted one of my hairdressers Jade who used to relax my hair, to come round to relax and trim my hair. I could see my ends needed a good trim and my hair was soon due for a relaxer which I was dreading doing myself so was glad that this time around, I could just sit and chill.

Before Jade's arrival, I based my edges, nape and ears with Vaseline and applied Jamaican Black Castor Oil to the length of my hair to protect my ends from relaxer run-off.

Jade started by applying the ORS Lye Professional relaxer to the two back sections, starting with the crown area. We got chatting and I'm annoyed with myself as I forgot to get my phone out and start the timer, so for this touch-up I don't know how long the cream was in my head but as it was Jade applying the relaxer and not myself, I'm assuming it was less than 20 minutes.

Once she had finished and had smoothed each section, I ran upstairs to wash it out and applied Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor to the length of my hair and left on for 2 minutes then rinsed.

I shampooed my hair four times using ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo and then towel dried before going on to deep condition with my mix of ORS Nourishing conditioner mixed with JBCO. As Jade was sticking around to blow-dry and trim my ends, I just sat under the hood dryer for 15 minutes which is a lot shorter than normal.

Once cool, I rinsed and then Jade applied my leave-in conditioner; Crème of Nature Strength & Shine and then applied a few drops of Inecto Coconut Smoothing Serum and then detangled my hair.

In sections, she blow-dried my hair using low heat and then it was trimming time. Before trimming, Jade had a good look at my hair and I was dealing with 3 different lengths due to me cutting my own hair last year and not cutting it to style but instead with the purpose of getting rid of breakage. It was decided that although the very back of my hair was almost armpit length, in the middle of my hair, the length was slightly shorter but taking my hair up to this length would make my hair even so that's what she did. For the two sides which were shorter, this was slightly trimmed and shaped into like a shorter feathered look and from this trim my hair can now grow out nice and even. I was sad to lose so much length after wanting to get to armpit length after my touch-up; however, it made sense to get rid of my straggly ends and be all about health over length, plus it'll grow back in no time.


Once trimmed, Jade went on to flat-iron my hair which I was hesitant about as it was double the heat in one day, however I was curious to see my hair straight for once so went with it.

Overall, I am really happy with how my hair turned out, and definitely think that having someone to relax my hair is the way to go. Next time, I'm hoping I won't need a trim as I don't want to trim with every relaxer so Jade can just pop round to apply the cream and leave me to do the rest.


It's weird to have such straight hair with nowhere to go so this style just lasted the weekend and then on Sunday night, I did a quick co-wash with Aunt Jackie's In Control Moisturising Conditioner, t-shirt dried, applied my leave-ins and then air-dried ready for work. I love big hair!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Healthy Hair Diary 2016. Powered by Blogger.