Hair Regime Update - Autumn / Winter

Sunday, October 27, 2013


My Hair Regime - Updated 27th October 2013


The cold is creeping in and it's time to tweak my regime to keep my hair moisturised, protected and retain my length. 

I wash my hair once a week which tends to be either a Friday night or Sunday afternoon if I am home for the day. On a Wednesday if my hair is in need of a refresh, then I will do a quick co-wash.



My Staple Loves...



My hair regime entails a moisture and protein balance.



Sundays  Week One:
  • Pre-poo with a light protein conditioner on damp hair for 15-20 mins with a heated cap, then rinse.
  • Shampoo
  • Deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner mixed with an oil or oil mix for 25-30 mins with heat or heat cap, then rinse. Final rinse using cold water.
  • T shirt dry my hair for 15 - 20 mins
  • Apply Leave ins and a few drops of Orifluido oil then detangle hair 
  • Use satin or mesh scarf method to air-dry until hair is 80% - 90% dry
  • Blow dry my hair using cold air and the nozzle to straighten out the roots.
  • Oil my scalp in four sections and also oiling my hairline and nape of my hair
  • Moisturise and seal my hair in four sections.

Wednesdays Week Two:
  • Pre-poo on dry hair with my Oil Mix for 25 - 30 mins.
  • Shampoo or Co-Wash with a moisturizing shampoo or conditioner.
  • Deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner for 20 mins using heat, then rinse. Final rinse using cold water.
  • T shirt dry my hair for 15 - 20 mins
  • Apply Leave ins and a few drops of Orifluido oil then detangle hair 
  • Use satin or mesh scarf method to air-dry until hair is 80% - 90% dry
  • Blow dry my hair using cold air and the concentrator nozzle to straighten out the roots.
  • Oil my scalp in four sections and also oiling my hairline and nape of my hair
  • Moisturise and seal my hair in four sections.

Alternatively, if I don't air-dry, I will do a ponytail roller set, wet wrap set or  I will blow-dry my hair using cool hair. 


Daily Hair Care:
  • Moisturize in four sections and seal hair in four sections.
  • Oil my scalp using my avocado oil and JBCO mix
  • Keep hair in a bun or other protective styles majority of the week.
  • At night I put my hair into a low loose pin curl and secure with my satin scarf. 

Other:
  • Relax hair every 10-12 weeks
  • Dust my ends every 4-6 weeks
  • Trim when needed (approx every 4-6 months)
  • Only baggy when ends are dry
  • Light protein treatment once a week fortnight
  • Clarify Hair 1 - 2 times a month 
  • Black Tea rinse fortnightly 
  • Wear protective styles 99% of the time (buns)

Products

Shampoo:

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo

Clarifying Shampoo:

ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo - 1 - 2 times a month

Protein Treatment / Conditioner:
  • ORS Hair Mayonnaise
  • ORS Olive Oil Hair Masque 

Moisturizing Conditioners:

  • Creme of Nature Nourishing and strengthening Treatment
  • Keracare Humecto
  • Elasta QP DPR 11+
  • ORS HAIRepair Nourishing Conditioner

Leave-In Conditioner:
  • S-Curl No Drip Activator & Moisturizer
  • Cantu Shea Butter (contains protein)
  • Creme of Nature Argan Oil Leave-In (contains protein)
  • Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Anti-Breakage Leave in Conditioner - New
  • Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Thickening Moisture Mist - Roots Only - New

Moisturizer:
  • Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer
  • S-Curl No Drip Activitor & Moisturizer
  • ORS HaiRepair Intense Moisture Creme
  • Vitapointe Leave In Conditioner
  • ORS HaiRepair Anti-Breakage Creme - Contains Protein

Sealant:
  • Avocado Oil & JBCO Mix
  • Coconut Oil - Have since discovered my hair is not a fan of this, it made my hair dry.
  • Grapeseed Oil
  • Orifluido Argan Oil
  • Castor Oil

Scalp Oil:

  • Oil Mix - Avocado Oil, JBCO, ORS HAIRepair Vital Oils
  • Pure Castor Oil
  • JBCO  - Has started to make my scalp itch like crazy, so taking a break.- March 13
  • ORS HaiRepair Vital Oils

Pre-poo & Deep Conditioner Additions:
  • EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Avocado Oil
  • Pure Coconut Oil
  • Grapeseed Oil - New
  • Almond Oil
  • African Royale Hot 6 Oil
  • JBCO
Co-wash Moisturizing Conditioner:
  • Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner
  • Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner
Heat Protector:

Fantasia IC Heat Protector and Strengthening Serum Spray

Relaxer Prep:

Base my scalp with Castor Oil or JBCO as well as my hair and ends (except for actual regrowth)

Relaxer:

ORS Olive Oil Relaxer - Normal Strength (20-25 mins)

or


ORS Olive Oil Relaxer for Girls (20-25 mins)


A few tips...


  • Try to keep hair manipulation by combs and brushes to a minimum. I used to wrap my hair every night with a paddle brush, I stopped using brushes in October 2012. I use a wide teeth detangling comb to detangle on wash days and to style my hair when necessary. Other than that I try to finger comb my hair where possible.
  • Always remember to detangle your hair starting from the ends of the hair and working your way up to the roots.
  • A satin scarf or satin pillowcase is a must to help you on your hair journey. Without a satin scarf or pillowcase, your hair is then left to rub on cotton pillow cases all night, leading to dry hair, unnecessary rubbing and breakage.
  • Keep the use of heat to a minimum, if you don't have time to roller set or air-dry every week then try using the cool setting on your hair dryer.
I haven't used any heat on my hair since July 2012 and my hair has proven thankful for that as my ends stay healthier for longer and the general condition of my hair has visibly improved.

I will be using indirect heat on my hair occasionally so that I can still enjoy straight styles as well as being on a healthy hair journey.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

The Healthy Hair Diary 2016. Powered by Blogger.